Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 04:37:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed!
45757 Posts in 3076 Topics by 432 Members
Latest Member: maurice free
* Home Help Login Register
+  RAW-IRON Forums
|-+  GENERAL DISCUSSION
| |-+  Bodybuilding (Moderators: Steve Speyrer, Murph)
| | |-+  Harold Poole - Today
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Harold Poole - Today  (Read 3880 times)
dhartnet
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 06:45:15 PM »

Most of the Iron sites are very disrespectful to the IronAgers. They make fun of Big Louie, among others, and just talk nonsense.

This place, and Iron-History, are the most respectful on the web.

I also enjoy The Drapers site,a nd have made some great friends over there...

Godspeed to Harold!
Steve Speyrer
Global Moderator
Mr. Olympia level

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 08:17:49 PM »

Raw Iron and it's members are the best!  Cool

Play fair or not at all!
jxb
Mr. World level

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 08:18:27 PM »

Hey, that article mentions Harold's cameo in the Pat Benatar "Love Is A Battlefield" video.  Here is a screen capture of his 15 seconds of 1980s MTV fame.  Cool

I'd love to see some Internet troll talk smack right to his face . . . Yeah, that'll ever happen.  Grin

http://www.SkunkTerrier.com
tim bagby
Mr. Universe level

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 08:39:26 PM »

here is one of my favorite shots of Harold. He's perfect. i couldn't imagine talking bad about such a legend. i'd be honored just to be in the same room as him. i'll never be in the same class as him and not many will.
jake
Mr. Olympia level

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 09:47:31 PM »

He looks so calm in this Denie shot, but that arm is second to none...  Shocked
Jeff Preston
RAW-IRON
Administrator
Mr. Olympia level

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 11:56:38 AM »

That arm in the Denie shot is mind blowing! Shocked

I cannot think of a bodybuilder who was a more well rounded, natural athlete than Harold.

It's not the destination...  it's the journey!
PeteH
Mr. Olympia level

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 04:18:54 PM »

That is a shot of his arm cold not even pumped !

If you don't think god has a sense of humor ........then take a look in the mirror !
kens
Mr. America level

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »

That arm shot is amazing. Any idea what year it is from? Those 50's and 60's champs are the ones that paved the way for bodybuilders today and they deserve respect for their accomplishments. Not to mention the fact that Harold made a nice comeback in the 80's. Whatever he wants to do, be it compete again(at any level) or just be active in his training, I think it's wonderful for him and us that he is trying to improve his physique. GO HAROLD.
jxb
Mr. World level

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 08:11:13 PM »

That arm shot is amazing. Any idea what year it is from?

Denie, very generously, sent that shot to me for Harold's web site.  I believe that it is from the 70s and was taken at Mid City Gym in NYC.  It comes from a larger series of photos that all appear to be from the same day.  Serge Nubret was in the gym too.  There are shots of Serge and Harold trading sets of bench press.

PeteH
Mr. Olympia level

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 08:36:51 PM »

I believe Freddy Ortiz was also in those photos with HP and Serge.  They were in MTI.  Denie sent them to me a while back when I asked him about HP.  HP was huge and in those photos he hasn't even been pumped up , he was just getting back in to BB. it was truly an injustice that he didn't win at least ONE Olympia.  This will always be a huge mistake in the history of BB and the Olympia. IMHO  Wink

If you don't think god has a sense of humor ........then take a look in the mirror !
rbaldwin
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 11:33:39 PM »

Titles don't mean as much as those who win them often think.  For instance, Mike Mentzer never won the Mr. Olympia and often lost in the pro shows but he's more famous than a number of Mr. Olympia winners.  Tom Platz hardly ever won any contests but look at his impact.  Freddie Ortiz is another.  You would think Freddie had won the Mr. Olympia for how famous he was and is.  Harold Poole is another top legend in the sport despite the fact that he didn't win the Olympia.  Look at how we are gushing over his physique!  It ought to make Harold very proud that he is not only not forgotten but still worshiped!!!!!
PeteH
Mr. Olympia level

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 10:10:53 AM »

Richard,
That is a very good point you make. I have to agree it seems like the "fans" make a bigger deal and continue too complain about a particular BB not winning a title..........MYSELF included. Sometimes not winning makes you that much more famous.  I just wonder though if it still bothers some who didn't win?  Wink

Dallas
Mr. Olympia level

This isn't a Frank Frazetta painting, this is me!

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2009, 01:02:57 PM »

Titles don't mean as much as those who win them often think.  For instance, Mike Mentzer never won the Mr. Olympia and often lost in the pro shows but he's more famous than a number of Mr. Olympia winners.  Tom Platz hardly ever won any contests but look at his impact.  Freddie Ortiz is another.  You would think Freddie had won the Mr. Olympia for how famous he was and is.  Harold Poole is another top legend in the sport despite the fact that he didn't win the Olympia.  Look at how we are gushing over his physique!  It ought to make Harold very proud that he is not only not forgotten but still worshiped!!!!!

I agree, Richard! Chuck Sipes is another guy who never won the Olympia, but look how we always gush over him!  Like Harold, he did win Mr. A and Mr. U but not the Olympia.

Dallas is my name.  My Mom wanted to name me after a TV series.  Don't laugh, she almost named me "Leave it to Beaver!"
jxb
Mr. World level

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »

Many of the guys who lose under, let's just say, "controversial" circumstances (like Harold at the 1966 Olympia) are quite "over it" by now, thank you very much.  I think, for example, of the never-ending desire, on the part of fans of the sport, to hash and rehash the results of both the 1980 and 1981 Olympias.  In those cases, Chris Dickerson, who came in second at both, and should therefore logically have the biggest gripe, doesn't give a rat's a** about how it turned out.  Now, I can hear some saying "Well, why should he, he won it in 1982" . . . But that brings to mind Danny Padilla, a name that comes up most often in the "wronged in 1981" discussions.  He too, at this point in his life, could not give a rodent's derriere about that show . . . And yet the debates rage on.  Having said all of that, the sting of the 1966 defeat (MUCH more so than 1965) had stayed with Harold for a good long time . . . this was true for many reasons (both personal and related to the sport).  In fact, it was only in the last year or so that all of the major parties involved in this 43-year-old "issue" opened a cordial and conciliatory dialog about what happened and about truly "letting bygones be bygones" . . . Even big Joe W. got involved (much to my shock and amazement) . . . And so, while I heartily agree with Richard's assessment of the relative importance of winning a particular title, I have to say that, in the case of Harold and '66 Olympia, this "score" took most of my lifetime (I was born in 1965) to settle.

Another interesting note: Regarding that color cover posted above.  When Jeff very kindly stepped up to the plate (or the scanner, as the case may be) to help me get a good 8x10 for Harold to sell on his web site.  I noticed that that cover was a negative print (backwards).  The discolored birth mark on one of Harold's shoulders was on the wrong shoulder.  We "straightened that out" when I worked up the 8x10 print version for his site.  That photo still blows my mind every time I look at it on the wall of my office.  Not bad for a 19-year-old!

tim bagby
Mr. Universe level

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2009, 03:06:51 PM »

another interesting note: Regarding that color cover posted above.  When Jeff very kindly stepped up to the plate (or the scanner, as the case may be) to help me get a good 8x10 for Harold to sell on his web site.  I noticed that that cover was a negative print (backwards).  The discolored birth mark on one of Harold's shoulders was on the wrong shoulder.  We "straightened that out" when I worked up the 8x10 print version for his site.  That photo still blows my mind every time I look at it on the wall of my office.  Not bad for a 19-year-old!

i agree. i had to have a copy in my gym, so i ordered one of your photos of Harold. It's one of my favorite. He looks just outstanding in that shot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: